Well, tomorrow I’m offski. Going over the the US of A to attend the show of shows, Wrestlemania 29, at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a tiny bit excited.
However, I’m quite intrigued by the matches on the card- there are a few that are fairly easy to predict, but others are a little trickier.
- WWE Championship- The Rock (c) vs. John Cena: Winner- John Cena
- World Heavyweight Championship- Alberto Del Rio (c) vs. Jack Swagger: Winner- Alberto Del Rio, followed by a successful Dolph Ziggler cash-in
- Beat The Streak- The Undertaker vs. CM Punk: Winner- The Undertaker
- Retirement Match- Brock Lesnar vs Triple H (If Triple H loses, he must retire): Winner- Triple H
- 6 Man Tag- The Shield vs. Sheamus/Randy Orton/The Big Show: Winner- The Shield
- Tag Team Championship- Team Hell No (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler/Big E. Langston: Winner- Team Hell No
- Mark Henry vs. Ryback: Winner- Ryback
- Intercontinental Championship- Wade Barrett (c) vs. The Miz: Winner- Wade Barrett
- Chris Jericho vs. Fandango: Winner- Fandango
- United States Championship (if defended): Antonia Cesaro vs. ???: Winner- Depends, really. I mean, it may not even be defended (which would be a crime in itself, let alone denying us a Cesaro match)
- Team Rhodes Scholars (w/ Bellas) vs. Brodus Clay/Sweet T/Funkadacktyls: Winner- No-one. Unless I find a concession stand that sells nachos. In which case, me.
But whatever happens, it better be good…what am I saying? It’s going to be AMAZING.
For historical interest, these are my all-time favourite Wrestlemania matches:
- TLC II, Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz- Wrestlemania X-Seven (absolute carnage)
- WWE Championship, Ric Flair vs Randy Savage- Wrestlemania VIII (a classic for the ages- between 1984 and about 1996, Flair didn’t have a bad match. Or if he did, I’ve not seen it.)
- Iron Man Match, Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels- Wrestlemania XII (60 minutes of Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels- what’s not to like?)
- Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker- Wrestlemania XXV (Amazing, considering both guys would have been into their 40s. You’ll notice a few times these two show up on here)
- The Undertaker vs. Diesel- Wrestlemania XII (Very underrated, and quite fast-paced for two guys standing at about 7ft tall)
- Retirement Match, Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair- Wrestlemania XXIV (Amazing storytelling in the ring. The best send-off the greatest in-ring performer could have had.)
- Hardcore Match, Edge vs. Mick Foley- Wrestlemania 22 (Mrs. Foley’s baby boy gets his ‘Mania moment…with the use of a table. On fire.)
- Money In The Bank, Wrestlemania 23 (One word. KENNNNEEEEEDDYYYYYY)
- Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship, Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon, Wrestlemania X (Fantastic match, years ahead of its time)
- The Undertaker vs. Ric Flair, Wrestlemania X8 (Again, very underrated)
- Bret Hart vs Owen Hart, Wrestlemania X (fantastic technical masterpiece from two of the greatest)
- Tag Team Championship match, The New Age Outlaws vs Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie, Wrestlemania XIV (Insanity. Complete and utter insanity. To quote Jim Ross, “it’s not going to be pretty, it’s not going to be scientific. Bang on there.)
- End Of An Era, The Undertaker vs Triple H, Wrestlemania XVIII (3 legends in the ring putting on the show of their lives)
- Intercontinental Championship match, Chris Jericho vs William Regal (another incredibly underrated match from what is considered the best ever ‘Mania card.)
- Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Scott Hall, Wrestlemania X8 (For this, and this alone)
Now, out of the 15 matches there, there are only 4 which really qualify as good technical wrestling. 4 of these are weapon-fuelled mayhem (and that’s not including the Michaels/Ramon ladder match). Maybe, just maybe you can tell the kind of style I like.
On a side-note, I’ve never been to New York before (well, I have technically, but most of the time was spent underground in JFK Airport)- if anyone has any recommendations, I’d love to hear them.
Expect mini-posts while I’m there, and a full Wrestlemania 29 review next week when I get back.
I will also take the time to apologise for the lack of pictures- I can’t find my notebook and I’m writing this in a bit of a hurry. Then again, I’ve given you 3 full wrestling matches to savour. You can’t have everything, you know!